If you have never had vegan pumpkin pasta, you are in for a real treat! In reality, anyone can make this pumpkin pasta, even non-vegans, because it is that tasty and delicious. Doesn’t matter if you are looking for pumpkin pasta sauce or pumpkin ravioli sauce or anything in between, this fits the bill.
If you are falling [heehee] for pumpkins this autumn, this is the perfect recipe for you. This is truly one of my favorite Cozy Vegan Fall Recipes and I know you are going to love it!
The vegan pumpkin pasta sauce is super easy to make and lends a unique and interesting flavor that will warm you to your core! Psssst! If you love this recipe, you may like my Fudgy Vegan Pumpkin Brownies!
This is also a good way to put hidden veggies in a Vegan Meal For Kids because the pumpkin makes the pasta orange so you can sneak them in under the guise of “mac and cheese” due to the color.
This sauce is creamy and delicious, due to the canned pumpkin. It is almost like a pumpkin alfredo.
My favorite part about making vegan pumpkin pasta is the fact that you can add as many extra veggies that you want to mix in.
This recipe just includes the pumpkin pasta sauce, which is what makes this so fun! You can customize it to you!
I recommend sauteing mushrooms and broccoli or some spinach and swiss chard. Of course, if you are making this creamy pumpkin pasta for non-vegans, you can add in cheese or the protein of your choice.
Adding veggies to the vegan pumpkin pasta allows you to get even more health benefits from this tasty and easy autumn dish.
This recipe makes a great side or main for your Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner and is a great way to wow a crowd at your holiday feast. If you want to eat these pumpkin noodles on a cold day to warm your soul, I promise I won’t judge!
Why You Will Love This Vegan Pasta With Pumpkin
- It whips up super quickly. This pumpkin pasta sauce recipe literally takes 10 minutes to make. You make the pumpkin sauce while the pasta is cooking. If you want to add in mix-ins such as veggies, you make it all at the same time. The final result? And insanely tasty pumpkin alfredo.
- Perfect for new cooks. If you are new to cooking and want something that sounds fancy but is super easy, this is the recipe for you! It is truly hard to fail when making pumpkin pasta vegan at home. Your guests won’t believe that you made this pumpkin pasta sauce yourself.
- Kids love it. If you are trying to snake more fruit into your kid’s diet, making pumpkin pasta sauce vegan is a good way for them to eat more fruit. Yes, a pumpkin is a fruit. Call this pumpkin fettuccine and the kids will go wild.
- Easily customizable. The thing I like about this pumpkin pasta sauce is that you can use it for anything. You can add cheese. You can add veggies. You can pour it over ravioli. You can pour it over tortellini. And the result is always a creamy pumpkin pasta dish that is perfect for fall.
Does This Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe Use Cream Or Milk?
Nope! This vegan pumpkin pasta sauce recipe does not use cream OR milk.
And yes, that means not even vegan cream or milk is used!
I want to let you know that if you want to make this creamy pumpkin pasta with cream or milk, you can use this recipe as a base and modify it to whatever you like such as a pumpkin alfredo. But this is what we are sticking to because we want our pumpkin noodles to be healthy and easily accessible to make.
So what do we use instead?
First, the pumpkin puree is naturally creamy which is the perfect replacement for cream in this pumpkin pasta.
Second, instead of milk or plant milk, we use the pasta water that the pasta had cooked in which makes for a starchy and delicious addition.
You can use vegetable stock or water in addition to your pasta water, or you can use an entire 1/2 cup of pasta water, it is up to you when making this pumpkin pasta sauce recipe.
So this is how I easily make this vegan pumpkin pasta sauce without any cream or milk!
How To Make Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
You can make this lovely vegan pumpkin pasta sauce in just 10 minutes, faster if you have a better stove than I do 😉
Pasta with pumpkin sauce is so hearty and delicious and good for you too. As mentioned above, these pumpkin noodles don’t have any extra cream or milk, non-dairy or otherwise.
First, you are going to want about 2/3 a box of pasta or 8 ounces [a normal box of pasta is about 12 ounces] and you will cook this or have this already on hand while you make the pumpkin sauce.
Next, you are going to heat a little oil in a pan and saute your onion and garlic until fragrant.
This is the longest part as it may take about 5-7 minutes for your onion to become translucent and fragrant, but it could be even faster if you have a better stove! I’m not kidding when I say making pumpkin pasta vegan at home is so easy.
If you don’t like onion or follow a Low-FODMAP or onion-free diet, the tops of green onions/scallions work just as well as the base for this vegan pumpkin pasta!
In the same pan, add flour and stir for 30 seconds. You want to combine the flour and the onion/garlic until it is crumbly.
Adding the flour to create a roux in the pan is what is going to thicken this sauce and make it similar to a creamy pumpkin alfredo!
Next, pour in the reserved pasta water, vegetable stock/water, and pumpkin puree and stir to combine.
Bring this mixture to a simmer and cook until the pumpkin sauce is thickened, around 3 minutes.
Finally, transfer this mixture to a blender and pulse until creamy. You may have an immersion blender and if you do, you can blend it right in the pan.
Once you return the blended vegan pumpkin pasta sauce to the pan, add your spices such as salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon and stir.
If you aren’t a fan of certain spices, take them out! Say you don’t like nutmeg but prefer rosemary. No worries at all. Simply swap and taste test the recipe here and there while you create the perfect vegan pumpkin spaghetti.
Combine with your cooked pasta and coat until everything is covered in pumpkin sauce.
I love making this vegan pumpkin pasta using long pasta noodles, fettuccine noodles, or bow tie pasta noodles! Anything works, but these are my favorites!
And that is it! That is how you easily make vegan pumpkin pasta.
I highly recommend sauteing some veggies on the side such as mushrooms or spinach to incorporate with this tasty and hearty pasta!
Please don’t be afraid to salt generously as the pumpkin needs a “bite” of salt to counteract the sweet flavor! You won’t regret it.
If you want to get really fancy, you make this pumpkin sauce and toss it over my Vegan Gnocchi Recipe for pumpkin gnocchi which is so decadent and delicious! You can also add a splash of vegan cream or milk if you are going for the pumpkin alfredo texture. If you love this recipe you may also love my Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup!
Storing The Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Storing the pumpkin pasta sauce is really easy!
I recommend storing the pumpkin pasta sauce apart from the pasta as the pasta noodles will absorb the sauce.
Store the sauce in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
To reheat, pop it in a small saucepan on the stove and stir until warm.
If the pumpkin sauce is too thick, reconstitute it with a little bit of water until your desired thickness is achieved.
If you do end up storing the pasta sauce and noodles already combined in the fridge, you will want to heat them on the stove and add a little bit of water as the sauce may be too thick on the noodles! If you liked this, you may also like our vegan butternut squash mac and cheese recipe!
Did You Try This Recipe?
If so, I would love to keep in touch! I enjoy seeing photos and comments about the recipes that you make! You can follow me on Instagram and I will repost your goodies in my stories and comment on it too! Just tag me at @wowitsveggie and hashtag #wowitsveggie. I can’t wait to see what you make!
- 8 oz or 2/3 box of pasta, cooked
- 3 TBS oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 TBS flour
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cooking pasta water (reserved from when you drain the pasta)
- 1/4 cup of stock/water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic and saute until transparent and fragrant, around 5 minutes.
- Add flour to the pan and stir to combine. The flour should be clumpy around the onion and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds and pour in pasta water, stock/water, and pumpkin puree. Bring mixture to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Transfer pumpkin sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the sauce to the pot and add in all of the spices and stir to combine. Incorporate the pasta noodles and toss until they are coated with sauce.
- Serve topped with veggies such as sauteed spinach, mushrooms, and swiss chard. Top with vegan parmesan if desired!
Amount Per Serving Calories 200Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 0mgSodium 561mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 4g