This vegan clam chowder recipe is so easy to make! It uses just 5 ingredients and can be cooked in a flash. It is my favorite recipe to make when I have worked too late and want something hearty yet quick to make. Even though I live in Florida and it is hot 90% of the year, I still enjoy making this vegan chowder recipe!
Since this is a meat and dairy-free clam chowder, you may be wondering where the seafood taste comes from. Let me introduce sushi nori. Sushi nori is the green stuff that is wrapped around sushi to keep the sushi together.
It is paper-thin and made out of seaweed. Since seaweed comes from the ocean, it has an unmistakable “fishy” flavor. For this vegan clam chowder recipe, you crumble a sheet of sushi nori into the soup and you won’t believe how much it tastes like actual seafood.
This healthy clam chowder does not use any onions or garlic, but you can easily modify the recipe if you want to sautee some at the beginning. You can also utilize green onions or leeks if you are feeling fancy. Otherwise, it tastes perfect just the way it is.
To speed things along, I have you parboil the potatoes which means that you boil them in a separate pan. I usually start boiling my chopped up potatoes for about 10 minutes before I start on the vegan clam chowder recipe. This greatly saves on the “active” time for making this soup!
If you want to make a gluten-free clam chowder recipe, you can simply utilize the gluten-free flour of your choice.
Finally, if you feel like you added too much liquid, feel free to add a bit more flour. I always eyeball it depending on how I am feeling because it can be slightly different if your mushrooms cook down and produce more liquid than other times.
- 12 oz of mushrooms (half a 24 oz pack or 3/4 of a 16 oz pack)
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 sheet sushi nori (shredded into pieces)
- 3 tablespoons of flour (modify for desired texture and thickness)
- 4 cups of non-dairy milk (I've used almond milk/oat milk/flax milk etc)
- Chop potatoes into cubes and parboil on high in a medium pot for 5-10 minutes until cooked halfway through.
- Saute mushrooms (in a little oil) in a large pot. Add parboiled potatoes to the pot and stir.
- Shred sushi nori with your hands and add it to the mushrooms and potatoes. Add flour to the pot and stir until everything is incorporated and flour coats all ingredients.
- Add 4 cups of non-dairy milk and boil on high for 10 minutes.
- Simmer on low for 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt garnish with parsley (optional)
If you don't like chunky soups, blend this vegan clam chowder in a blender until smooth.
Substitute flour for gluten-free flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
This recipe makes 4 servings, but you can eat it in 2 1/2 if you are very hungry and fill large bowls.
Amount Per Serving Calories 415 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 24mg Sodium 268mg Carbohydrates 67g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 7g Sugar 18g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 17g