Learn how to make hot chocolate bombs, the easy way! This concept is all the rage from Tiktok and for a good reason!
What is more fun than watching your hot chocolate bomb “explode” with mini marshmallows and sprinkles and whatever goodies you put inside of it?
You may not be sure because you may think that “Tiktok food” is weird or strange. I can assure you, this is the coolest thing since Dalgona Coffee to hit the internet
Of course, since this is a vegan/vegetarian blog, I show you how to make hot chocolate bombs vegan!
You will need to use vegan mini marshmallows or any vegan filling that you may desire as well as vegan chocolate and you are good to go.
There is a trick to making this hot chocolate bombs recipe, so read on for more!
What Are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
I just wanted to take a quick second to break down what hot chocolate bombs actually are!
Basically, you use a silicone mold and create a sphere of chocolate. Then, you fill that chocolate with hot cocoa mix and whatever add-ins you can find such as vegan mini marshmallows, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips and more.
To “explode” the hot chocolate bombs, you want to place it in a cup and pour warm non-dairy milk over the top!
It will taste just like yummy hot chocolate, but the best part is getting to see all the inside mix-ins “explode” out of the chocolate bomb!
How To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
If you are on this page, you want to know how to make the hot chocolate bombs recipe! I am here to show you.
As I said above, these are vegan hot chocolate bombs, but you can use whatever ingredients you want if you aren’t vegan and just want to use regular chocolate.
First, you are going to want to buy a silicone sphere mold from Amazon or your local store!
They aren’t too expensive and you can use them again and again! This is the silicone mold that I use!
I say that this is the first step as many of us don’t initially own one of these molds, so you want to buy it in advance.
Next, you want to melt your chocolate! You can use dark chocolate or vegan white chocolate, depending on your preference. You can even use both!
When heating chocolate, you can either melt it on the stove or in the microwave. You can microwave them in a bowl for 30 seconds and then reduce it down to 15 seconds until they are totally melted.
Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate on the stove which is what I prefer to do! If you melt the chocolate on the stove, make sure to do it over low heat so that the chocolate doesn’t seize up.
This is my preferred method!
Now it is time to fill your molds with the melted chocolate!
Using a spoon or pastry brush, “paint” the chocolate around the inside of the sphere mold.
You can use a spoon to drop a little bit in and then smooth it around the edges until the entire inside is covered.
Whatever you do, you do not want to fill the entire sphere mold completely with chocolate, you just want to make the thin layer for the outside of the hot chocolate bombs!
I found the spoon method to be quite easy to do!
Then, pop your hot chocolate bombs in the fridge for 20-30 minutes or the freezer for 5-10 minutes until they are completely hard.
Now, gently pop out the melted chocolate half-spheres from the mold.
In order to fill the hot chocolate bombs, you are going to want to set each one in a small bowl to prop up the bottom. Alternatively, you can use the silicone mold to prop it up too!
Now, add your hot cocoa powder, vegan mini marshmallows, sprinkles, or whatever mix-ins you want to the bottom of the chocolate shell.
I recommend filling them about 3/4 of the way full with the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows or whatever else you want
To seal the hot chocolate bombs together, you are going to want to microwave a plate so that it is warm.
Place the empty half of the chocolate mold gently onto the plate to lightly melt the chocolate around the eges.
Then, place the lightly melted empty half, on top of the filled half and press together to seal.
Once the hot chocolate bombs are sealed, now you can decorate them!
This is completely optional, but I think it is so fun!
My favorite way to decorate hot chocolate bombs is to drizzle over additional melted chocolate.
Simply melt your dark or white chocolate and then use a spoon to drizzle it lightly over the top of the hot chocolate bombs. If you want, you can add sprinkles or chocolate shavings on top of the melted chocolate.
Then, let them set in the fridge until hard.
Now it is time to enjoy!
How To Serve Hot Chocolate Bombs
To serve the hot chocolate bombs, you are going to want to place one chocolate sphere in a mug.
Pour about 1 cup of hot non-dairy milk or water over the bomb and the bomb will begin melting.
This is so much fun! Once the bomb is partially melted, you can use your spoon to stir it in completely and enjoy.
How To Gift Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs make the perfect gift for the holidays! There are so many cute ways to wrap these up for a lovely presentation that is pretty but also easy!
Since these are vegan hot chocolate bombs, everyone on your gift-list can enjoy!
You can wrap them in small cellophane bags and tie them with a ribbon and a small cut-out of the instructions.
You can wrap them individually in colored foil, just like the stores sell them!
You can buy a mug from the dollar store and wrap them in the mug with the instructions.
You can even buy see-through boxes from the store and place 2-3 in those for gifting. Perfect when tied with a ribbon!
Everyone loves hot chocolate bombs and they are the perfect gift for any time of year [even in summer heehee]
How To Store Hot Chocolate Bombs
Since making these do take a little bit of effort, you may want to make a larger batch and then store them for future uses!
You can store the hot chocolate bombs at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. This is the same storing method for recipes such as my chocolate dipped pretzels and it still tastes yummy!
You can put them in the fridge, but I don’t recommend it as the chocolate will sweat and condensate and they won’t provide best results. I also wouldn’t freeze the as they don’t taste the same after!
Did You Try This Recipe?
If so, I would love to keep in touch! I enjoy seeing photos and comments about the recipes that you make! You can follow me on Instagram and I will repost your goodies in my stories and comment on it too! Just tag me at @wowitsveggie and hashtag #wowitsveggie. I can’t wait to see what you make!
- Vegan dark chocolate or white chocolate
- Hot chocolate mix [vegan]
- Vegan marshmallows, sprinkles, icing sugar etc for filling and topping
- Melt your vegan dark or white chocolate in the microwave or on the stove until smooth. If using the microwave, heat in 15-second increments until melted.
- Now, prepare your Silicone Sphere Mold. Add a heaping spoonful of melted chocolate into the mold and use the back of your spoon to smooth it around the edges until the inside of the half-sphere is covered with a thin layer of melted chocolate. Set in the freezer for 5-10 minutes or in the fridge for 15-20 minutes until chocolate is hard.
- Gently pop out the chocolate half-circles from the mold and prepare them to be filled. Take your bottom half and prop it up against the inside of a small bowl or use the back side of the mold. Fill it 3/4 full with hot cocoa mix and whatever mix-ins you want to add.
- Microwave a plate until it is warm. Take the top half of the hot chocolate bomb and lightly press the edges on the warm plate to melt them a little bit. Take the slightly melted top half and press the edges against the edges of the filled lower half. Press gently to seal together.
- To decorate, you can melt dark or white chocolate and use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over the finished hot chocolate bombs. While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle on any additional toppings such as sprinkles or icing sugar. Place hot chocolate bombs in the fridge for 3-5 minutes so that the decorations and toppings can harden.
- To serve, place hot chocolate bomb in a mug and pour hot non-dairy milk or water over it until completelymelted. Use a spoon to stir so that it can be incorporated throughout.